Angel's Blog

Blog Post #4 – Interaction With Comments

Link to the vdeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSWLmyGpYc

The video introduces the basic concepts of demand and supply and explains the relationships among the factors of price, quantity, demand, and supply by showing their changes and how they are influenced by the other three aspects on the diagrams. The video contains a section on practices, in which the author provides six scenarios with some given conditions for students to analyze how other factors may be changed and draw diagrams to show their answers. This section allows the students to respond to and practice the previous learning knowledge, in which they could make notes, think about the solution, and draw the corresponding diagrams for each scenario to ensure they have learned the knowledge and understand how to apply it in different situations.

After watching the video, I would recommend the students do an online quiz that contains the learning contents from the materials, such as the multiple-choice questions for selecting the correct primary demand and supply diagram or selecting the proper definition of the demand and supply concept, etc. Meanwhile, the written questions could also be included in the quiz with the questions such as providing a scenario with a given condition, just like in the video, letting the students analyze the conditions and draw the changes in any of the factors (price, quantity, demand, and supply) in the diagram and explain their answers. This activity mainly helps the students practice and consolidate the knowledge they absorbed in the video and develop their critical-thinking and analytic skills when facing a question.

Students could access the online quizzes through WordPress. There will be a WordPress section containing the links that direct the students to Google Forms to complete the quizzes. For both multiple choices and written problems in the quiz, students could obtain real-time feedback in google forms with their grades, correct answers for the questions, and explanations. Because the quizzes will be graded automatically, therefore it does not cost too much time for me to work on them, even if there is a large number of students. The activity is manageable and worthwhile because it only costs the time to set up the questions on the quiz and update links on WordPress, but it could really help the students consolidate their knowledge. Meanwhile, students could bring the questions to the discussion forum if they find confusion from doing the quizzes. If there is a large-scale student, more and more ideas exchanges could happen in the discussion, which develops their skill of the open-minded communications.

Comment on Wanqin’s Blog Post #4

Link to the post: https://wanqinjiang68.opened.ca/2023/06/15/blog-4-technology-in-learning-and-neuro-myths/#comment-10

Hi Wanqin,

Thanks for sharing your excellent post and the video! I agree that taking notes from the instructor’s notes is an effective method to absorb, digest and consolidate knowledge. During the process of taking notes, students could sort out and understand the essential concepts in their minds and summarize them on paper for further memorization. This is an excellent response method that the video could bring to the students. I felt connected with your idea when I read that you think the discussion would be a great way to develop students’ critical thinking abilities. I also mentioned this opinion in my post. I would consider that discussion involves the process of thinking deeply by students themselves and exchanging minds with others. This method only practices students’ skill of critical thinking but also involves them in open-minded communication practices.

Thanks!
Angel